Tuesday, December 31, 2013

NYE 2013: Skipping the Reflection

Well, it's here kids - NYE 2013. (by the by, its only recently that I understood what the abbreviation NYE stood for - yes, the blonde is natural) I've realized that I am not big on spending my NYE reflecting on the year that's coming to a close. I feel like it's harkening back to Gladiator days, thumbs up or thumbs down? Did you love it or hate it? It was a year of my life - filled with joy, sorrow, victories and struggles. It wasn't perfect, it didn't suck - it just was. I learned some lessons and think I am all in all a better version of myself than I was at the end of 2012 -- that's all a girl can really hope for, right?

I'm also not a resolution person - at all. Let's be real peeps - how many of you have actually made and kept a resolution past February 1st? I don't think setting goals are bad, but lets make them realistic and lets make them about something that matters. This isn't a "resolution", but I told Jim this year my goal is to be more comfortable in my own skin. I want to be happy with who I am, where I am. To quote a Katy Perry song (God, help me) "I have to love myself the way I want you to love me". I want a closer walk with God (always a good one) and I want to continue to grow a loving, healthy marriage (a direct correlation to a closer walk with God, I think). Other than that, I'm gonna try to be me.

I guess my point is: keep moving forward. If you want to look back (briefly) on 2013 and take stock, go ahead. But don't be moored to your mistakes, short comings and struggles. I promise, 2014 will have it's share of problems. But, if we make the choice to look for joy- it will have that as well. And - to get preachy for just a minute - don't hate  the struggles. The moments of joy wouldn't be as amazing if you hadn't been through moments of pain. The mountain never seemed as glorious as when you just walked through the valley. I am a blessed girl. That doesn't mean my life is perfect. But I have husband I adore, a family I love and friends who love me in spite of myself.

So cheers, my friends. Raise a glass of champagne or chocolate milk to yourself tonight. You may not have rocked the world in 2013, but many of you rocked my world. You loved me, read my blog, inspired me to be a better person. You touched the lives of the Sunday school class you taught, the stranger you gave a smile to, the family member you reconnected with.  And that my friends, is worth celebrating.

No comments: