Tuesday, March 26, 2013

One Year Behind Us

I crack myself up sometimes. My last post (on February 1st !!) was entitled "Too Busy"... and, I haven't written a post since. Why? Because I've been too busy! Ahh.... thank God for irony. Now, without further delay, read on my friends!

One Year Behind Us

Well, on March 12th Simplicity Lowcountry Cremation & Burial closed the book on our first year in business. It was a whirlwind, to say the least. It seems like only yesterday Jim and I were painting at 2am and eating our body weight in Little Caesars. (oh, the happy days when gluten was still in my life...) We have been blessed to serve many families and hopefully provide them comfort during a difficult time. God, and I can say it had to be Him, has helped us put together an amazing staff and we are all finally feeling like we are "in the groove". When we started this journey, I made a list of things I learned during our first month in business. Well, its been a year and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't learn something new. But - for the sake of brevity, I picked my favorite 10 for you:

The 10 (new) Things I've Learned During Our 1st Year in Business:

10 - I am a licensed crematory operator. I won't go into all the things I had to learn to get that piece of paper, but trust me - I earned it.

9 - There is no end to the "death" jokes. Now I know what lawyers must feel like.

8 - I married a Dobbins. I had forgotten (briefly) the level of drive and determination they are born with. I remember now.

7 - Graveside services in the dead of winter (pun intended) are no place for fashion. Its cold. Dress accordingly. No family wants to see a funeral director's wife with blue lips, it's creepy.

6 - The intrigue of late night removals has worn off -- sleeping is better.

5 - Melt away peppermints are like crack, we go through buckets of them.

4 - It is possible to have hearse envy. Thank you Craig Kempf.

3 - I appreciate so  much more what my parents must have gone through being in the funeral business in the 80s. No cell phones, no internet, no Facebook. How did they do it?!

2 - The police have a pretty fast response time to our facility - that's a comfort.

1 - This is only the beginning :)

No comments: