Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter With Judas

So, like many, I have been thinking a lot about the final days of Jesus. As we approached Easter, attended Good Friday service last night and look forward to celebrating his resurrection tomorrow, I can't stop thinking about Judas. Is he the most sinful, evil human to ever live -- or a decent guy who made one HUGE mistake?

Jim and I recently saw a production of The Thorn. It's great. I loved it. Watching the Passion does something to me. I'm sure it does something to everyone - how can you watch the miraculous workings of Jesus, see him take on the sins of the world, witness the empty tomb and NOT be moved? The production comes to Charleston every few years - so I've seen it before. But this time - this time I couldn't take my eyes and my mind off Judas. As a key player in the biggest event EVER, how did I miss him before? I was so intrigued that I've spent a good bit of time researching this disciple turned betrayer. The Old Testament tells of a betrayer, as clearly as it speaks of a messiah. Many scholars on the subject believe God knew Judas would betray Jesus, but Judas still made the choice. So why do it? Why betray the man he'd followed for three years? Why then try to take the betrayal back? Why commit suicide after Jesus was crucified?

I don't know. The more I read, the more questions I have --- and my point of this post is not to debate the motivations of Judas, but rather to highlight that there is a Judas in all of us. What?! Did she really just call me Judas? Settle down. Yes, I did. Think you've never betrayed Jesus? You have. I have. It's called sin. To me, that's a betrayal. Especially because we know we're doing it.

Romans 7:18-20 (NIV)
18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Not only do I find this a perfect illustration of all of us - but I would venture, a pretty good illustration of Judas. In any conversation about sin - comes the question of forgiveness. Did Jesus forgive Judas? Again, I don't know. Only the Lord knows the answer to that question. But --- I believe that IF Judas asked for forgiveness, it would have been granted. He committed suicide -- I would argue that showed remorse. But, I digress -- not my point here to argue the motivations of Judas. Forgiveness -- now, that's something to think about.

Ok- so, here's where I'm going with this. I am a sinner. I've made some pretty big mistakes in my life. Mistakes that would have separated me from God had Jesus not died to pay for my sins.  God has forgiven me...."Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us" .... so I am called (no, REQUIRED) to forgive those who have done wrong to me. And...........enter the title of my post: Easter With Judas. How many of us feel like we are sitting across the Easter ham from our very own Judas? Kinda snuck up on ya with that one, didn't I? If you've never sinned in your life, point that finger. Hold out on forgiveness and judge the rest of us until Jesus comes back. But, if you're like me, and are saved by grace alone -- maybe you should turn that finger around and examine the Judas in the mirror. Just sayin'. Happy Easter, He is Risen! :)

No comments: