Monday, September 23, 2013

The Prodigal Daughter returns...

I haven't written a blog post since Easter. Coincidentally, I have been absent from church for about that long. Interestingly enough, my anxiety has been pretty high in that time as well. Moral of the story: I need Jesus and I need to write.

I'm revamping The Great Undertaking. I think I was worrying too much about having something profound to say. This blog isn't only about big things - it's about me and my everyday life as I find my place in the world and in the world of death care. (maybe I should call it "end of life care" ... better ring??) I'll have to add a disclaimer to the top of every post: the views expressed here are not necessarily those of Simplicity Lowcountry Cremation & Burial... blah, blah, blah.

Now, back to Jesus. Yes I have been on an extended hiatus from church. There's no big reason - other than Jim and I were putting our feelings, our "busy" lives and ourselves before God. Actually, that is pretty big. I think we had just settled into comfortable denial about our lack of Jesus when someone (ever so kindly) pointed it out to us. God never ceases to amaze me. He is a pretty cool dude. He uses people you never dreamed of him using to get you in the places you need to be, when you need to be there. Jim and I were invited to a church function by a person we know and like, but don't know well. We hemmed and hawed (what does that even mean?) about going - guilt and obligation winning out in the end. We went. I was uncomfortable. God smacked me in the back of the head. We were in church the following Sunday. Thank you Jesus. There was more to it than that - but I covered the high points.

I've struggled for a long time with moving forward after making mistakes. I feel like once I've messed something up, it's hopeless to ever start again. The only thing people will remember is that I messed up. I feel like I am a failure and maybe don't deserve a second chance to put it right. I slacked off writing - guess people didn't miss me, guess I wasn't good at it anyway, guess I messed that up. I stopped going to church - guess we can never go back there, guess I let God down, guess they know we aren't perfect now. Guess not. Every time I let God down, myself down, Jim down - its one more chance to do better, get it right, try again. Thank God for grace. I'm baaaaaaack :)

No comments: